7 Reasons To STAY AWAY From Plastic Disposables!
The list is of reasons to refuse single use plastic is long. There are many organizations who focuses on getting rid of the disposable plastic which most of the times ends up in our oceans. The following list of the negative impact plastic has was compiled by Plastic Pollutions Coalition.
- Plastic never goes away- plastics is a material made to last forever, yet 33% of all the plastic is only used one time. Plastic cannot biodegrade, only break down into smaller pieces, which can take up to 400 years or more.
- Plastic piles up in our environment- In America alone 30 million tons of plastics is discarded every year. Only 8% of this is recycled in the proper way. The rest ends up in landfills or more likely in our oceans.
- Plastic spoils our ground water- There are tens of thousands landfills across the globe. Buried beneath each one of them, plastic leachate full of toxic chemicals is seeping into our ground water and flowing downstream into lakes and rivers.
- Plastic poisons our food chain- even plankton, the tiniest creature in our oceans, are eating micro plastics and absorbing their toxins. The substance displaces nutritive algae that creatures up the food chain.
- Plastic affects human health- chemicals leached by plastics are in the blood and tissue of nearly all of us. Exposure to them is linked to cancer , birth defects, impaired immunity, endocrine disruption and other ailments.
- Plastic threatens wildlife- entanglement, ingestion and habitat disruptions all result from plastic ending up in the spaces where animals live. In our oceans alone, plastic debris outweighs zooplankton by ration 36-to-1.
- Plastic costs billions to abate- everything suffers: tourism, recreation, business, the health of humans, animals, fish and birds,- because of plastic pollution. The financial damage continuously being inflicted is inestimable.
Join our quest towards a world without plastic disposables!